Saturday, September 29, 2007

Crawford Breaks Law - Call The Sign Police


My friend up on the northeast side of Fort Wayne sent me a photo of a sign that was turned in a week ago to the Sign Police. Well it is still there and I am shocked!

When I received the photo I told my friend it was hard to tell if it was in the rightaway. He said it was right under some overhead lines. I told him you could not see it on the photo. He agreed but swore it was under the lines.

I looked at the GIS site for Fort Wayne and you can tell the entrance marker was right on the edge of the rightaway. Gosh, do I use the photo or not? Maybe the city had been out and looked and it was not in the rightaway!

So I climbed in the trusty bucket of bolts and headed out to Maplecrest Road. Sure enough there it was just north of Tier Road, on the east side of Maplecrest.

I turned onto Midfield and turned around in a fellow's driveway. I pulled back up the intersection so I could sight down the wires running overhead and a telephone pole. Yepper, the sign was clearly in the rightaway.

I told my friend to call again Monday and complain. Maybe the candidate with the sign has a deal with the Sign Police, that if one leg of a sign is on private property it is legal. Could be, but one would think Dr. Crawford would want to lead by example over exception.

1 comment:

Bob G. said...

From what was said about the sign locations, I would have taken a tape measure, and did a "reccy"..If the street doesn't have a sidewalk, then anything within TWELVE FEET of the street is "fair game" aka TAKE IT DOWN or lose it!

B.G.